W30 4L60E won't hold D1

Moderator: Hooter

W30 4L60E won't hold D1

Postby State0 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:58 pm

I'm sure I've missed something or there is something wrong with my box! Have VS statesman with 5L and 4l60e box running w30, have modifies shift points in drive mode 1 and 2 and everything working fine but for the life of me I can not get the box to hold first gear when shifter is moved to d1, I select d1 by moving shifter all the way towards back of car, car starts in 1st but at approx 5kph it shifts to 2nd, it will hold second till limit is hit for second gear then changes to 3rd, it hold second and third when shifter is selected for d2 or d3 but not for first? Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which parameter I should change to make it hold d1 until either a rev limit or speed limit is met?? Cheers Sam
State0

Re: W30 4L60E won't hold D1

Postby Hooter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:33 pm

Have you checked List/Main/Trouble Codes for any codes
I saw this on a VT recently which had TPS issues
Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it.
Autograph your work with excellence.
Hooter

Postby State0 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Thanks hooter fo reply, have check fault codes and none present, have checked tps as well and all good! I have also put standard computer back in and it holds first???
State0

Postby State0 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:46 am

So just been thinking, with workshop, to correct speedo I'm meant to change the parameter VAR:KPH:PPK which I have done and my speedo is correct but I also changed VAR:MPH:MPHFAC as advised on site to correct diff ratio ect. But now I'm thinking I shouldn't have??? As I increased the VAR:MPH:MPHFAC value but speedo was reading right before, could this make gearbox think speed is higher then actual? Speedo didn't change when I changed VAR:MPH:MPHFAC value!

Don't know what I wrote before but parameter var:kph:ppk doesn't exists in workshop, meant to be var:vss:npprevs
Last edited by State0 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
State0

Postby State0 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:35 pm

So still no luck, any more advice would be appreciated, car now has new manifold and 4 barrel tb so getting tuned next week but doubt tuner going to be able to help with gearbox! As it has new tb it now has new tb sensor and I have double checked it's operation is right! Is there anyways to find out the standard settings for the 4l60e box in a vs series 2 statesman? Or maybe someone has a standard prog I can load and compare? Anything will be much appreciated cheers sam
State0

Postby State0 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Ok had a chance to have another play, if I change VAR:MPH:MPHFAC and then view list screen of trans my speed in MPH is now correct and gears change at right time but my speed on gauge screen is way out but my actual speedo is fine, corrected by correction box! What am I missing? Does the gauge screen speed not matter?

Oh and if I change var:vss:npprevs to make gauge speedo right I can't adjust MPHFAC enough to get transmission speed right????
State0

Postby DerekBell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:10 pm

State0 wrote:corrected by correction box!

Fair chance this is what it is, the ECU is seeing a different signal than the speedo. My understanding is the ECU sends the speed signal to the speedo, so in putting the correction box between the ecu and the speedo the signals are different. Generally we put the correction box on the speed signal before anything, i.e. the line straight from the speed sensor.
State0 wrote:if I change VAR:MPH:MPHFAC and then view list screen of trans my speed in MPH is now correct and gears change at right time but my speed on gauge screen is way out
Youve corrected the MPH speeds, but the actual speed signal is out and then corrected it after then ecu to the speedo.

Best option would be to install the correction before the ECU, however this also affects many other variables that you may have tuned already.

Derek
DerekBell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby State0 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks for the reply Derek,
I'm tuning a vs series 2 statesman with an auto,my understanding Is that the the vehicle speed sensor is sent to the PCM from the transmission and this can't be corrected externally? Then the PCM sends it to speedo which can be corrected? I have cut into a purple with white trace cable out of terminal C12 out of the PCM, with my correction box, can anyone confirm this is correct? I'd love to correct it before the ecu or PCM if I can? The only other cables are the ones straight from vehicle speed sensor into PCM witch is terminal b5 and b6 and I believe I can't correct this signal? Cheers sam
State0

Postby BLOWN-VP » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:22 am

Should be able to wire correction box between speed sensor and pcm depending on what type of correction box you have.the jaycar kits that you put together can be set for different signal input and output.e.g. if you want it between speed sensor and pcm ac sinewave input ac sinewave output then adjust how much correction you need.cheers Darren.
BLOWN-VP
professional
professional

Postby State0 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:45 am

Cool thanks Darren, I will change where it's installed and see how I go, thanks again sam
State0

Postby State0 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:24 pm

Great advise Darren, used same jaycar converter as I was before but rather then cutting into violet/white speedo cable on c12 in PCM connector I cut into vss cable goin into b5 ion PCM connector, blue/white cable! Had to reconfigure corrector, move jumper from link 3 to 5! Works a treat and fixed my other gearbox problems! I also wonder now if this could be a cause for my torque converter internals being destroyed???
Thanks again all for your help, might right up a post for workshop users and how to install converters and please note I didn't have to change var:MPH:MPHFAC from standard using ckun.bin! Converter fixes both speedo in PCM and actuall speedo.
Cheers sam
State0

Postby DerekBell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:08 pm

The var.vss also works, but as you found if you change the ratio too much you run out of tuning space, this is where the calibration box comes into it.

Again, the calibration box MUST be installed before the ecu as you found, the speed signal affects many different systems, other then the obvious trans stuff.

edit. If you set the calibration box properly you wont need to adjust any speed settings in the ECU as it will correct the speed to standard, if you cant quite get it right, use var.vss to finetune..

you basically had the ecu thinking the vehicle was running at a different speed than actual.

Fair chance it was what destroyed your torque converter as well as it would be hard changing, locking at the wrong times etc etc.

Great to hear its all sorted

Derek

ps have stickyd your post for others as workshop stuff is hard to come by.
DerekBell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby State0 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:19 am

Cheers Derek, great the more it helps the better!

I installed my correction box about 8 years ago, way before I had Kalmaker but straight after I changed diff gears to 4.11s, without Kalmaker it would be hard to know that I put it in wrong spot as speedo read fine! Sucks but we learn from our mistakes!
Guess if I hadn't gone stupid gear ratios I prob would have sorted with var:vss:npprevs, Good to know!

Cheers again sam
State0

Return to Workshop