Writing with W91

Moderator: Hooter

Writing with W91

Postby Krusty » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:47 pm

I'm just looking at W91 and have bugged Hooter with a few more questions than I'd like to and still don't quite understand the write procedure after a tune is finished....

Let's say I've spent all day with the laptop hooked up to the OBD2 port adjusting calibrations and want to write to the chip...............Do i just write through the port or does the Memcal actually need to be removed from the ECM and then written in an eprom burner?

Also, does the Memcal need to be erased before it's written to or will the tune automatically realise the adjusted parameters and just write them only?

The reason I'm asking is that I have one car with a realtime ECM that comes with the package and another car with its original stock ECM that is unmodified.
Krusty
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Writing with W91

Postby DerekBell » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:15 pm

I know nothing about workshop, but generally, you need the RT ECM to do the tune, this is what talks the Kalmaker language etc, then to use it on a non modified ECM, you need to reburn the memcal eprom. You will need to blank and rewrite the eprom, and generally have to add a security PAL between the eprom and memcal socket.. If this is different in workshop, someone else will have to clarify.

Derek
DerekBell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Krusty » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:58 pm

The reason I ask is that I have 2 VY L67s that I will be learning to tune on. I will drive one for a couple of weeks and fiddle with the tune and then drive the other for a couple of weeks while doing the same.

I'm just trying to work out the best way to go about this. I have ordered W91 start up and also one extra security code (equivalent of a pal on earlier versions I'm told).

My concern is that if I run the RTECM in one car and then swap it over to the other car, will I have to swap the same unmodified ECM from car to car so the security code stays with that ECM?

One car is a Calais and the other is an S pack (both VYs) so not too sure if the ECM is interchangable?
Krusty
Experienced
Experienced

Postby DerekBell » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Thats a definate someone else question. I dont know if they are interchangable, even if they were, you may end up with a lot of initial startup items to change between the two etc.

Hopefully there is someone else out there that has some experience with this setup. Unfortunately most of the people here are like me, and have all there experience with SP3.

Hope you get there

Derek
DerekBell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Krusty » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Hopefully SP3 and W## aren't that different. If they are I may find myself up shit creek without the proverbial ..........

I've asked Al if he's willing to convert one of the cars stock ECU to realtime. Seems like the only logical soloution from here on. Removing ecus and swapping them over on a regular basis will probably lead to worn plugs and wiring so it may be smarter to spend the extra up front to save on re looming down the track
Krusty
Experienced
Experienced

Postby VXL67Getrag » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:24 am

Hey Krusty,

I’m no expert as I’m just new to this as you know so I will stand to be corrected, but anyways I’ll Hazard a guess!

Even if the 2 cars had identical everything ie; exhaust system, cam, pulley size, intercooler etc.. there would be slight variances in everything so fueling & spark would be close but could tweak each car a little different, I would suggest put the real time PCM in the first car tune it & drive it for however long you want with it in it till it’s right, then get the code or the PCM that came out of that car & write it with the burner/reader to the memcal after erasing it & that car is done, then you can use that tune as a baseline for the other vy L67 with the realtime computer than in that one & tweak it till its best & can either leave the realtime PCM In the car for it’s life or get the PCM code for the original pcm out of that particular car & write it to a memcal again after erasing it & Done & then sell or keep the realtime PCM for any future VY’s or projects!

All Done, this is just what I think anyway may not be true at all? :mrgreen:

Cheers VX L67 Getrag
VXL67Getrag
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Krusty » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:11 am

Yeah that makes sense except for one thing. I and my mate are the kind of car heads that are never finished lol. I'd be guessing we will still be tuning on a monthly basis still in a year. I'm all about streetability and the other bloke is setting his car up for track with the daily driver thing not even on the horizon.

I think we are both going for realtime ecus at this stage. I don't want to wear wiring looms out by always swapping parts and plus we just don't have time up our sleeves to waste on ECU swapping
Krusty
Experienced
Experienced

Postby DerekBell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:58 pm

RT ECM's woud definately be the way to go if your looking to do regular swaps. The only other thing I can recommend is only change small things at one time, and save-save-save.. This way if you stuff something up, yopu at least know what to change, or have something older to turn to.

As one is calais and another is S-pack I think there will be different security and BCM settings for each, so again having two RT ECM's reduce the risk of using the wrong tune.

Al won't mind questions etc, if you have no luck here, as long as your patient with him..

Derek
DerekBell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Krusty » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:29 pm

Hahahahaha. patience is the virtue it seems. You are spot on.
Krusty
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Hooter » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi Guys, With Workshop, W20/W30 which suit VR VS autos, they use the same looking memcals as VN/VP and VR/VS manuals, and up until recently we also used security PALs much the same as SP3. The memcal replacement boards are identical. You may have noticed the bridging pin has ecm/pcm option, thats the only difference except for different PAL name ie NDS032e (SP3) or WDS064e (W20/30)
With VS Ecotech onward we use a security code which is written into the calibration. This code is unique to the computer (pcm), so the tune cant be used in other pcms, BUT the complete pcm can be, which also means the realtime can be swapped from car to car.
Obviously, if you load a different tune, then you need to re enter the pcmid and user id.
Actually you dont HAVE to do this, but you will have to do a real time command, which actually means you only have to push the Load button (in any variable) in order for the car to start. Obviously this is a pain in the bum, and is easier to enter the correct codes.
Apart from that, and quite a few different variable names, SP3 and Workshop work virtually identical.
Oh, I forgot to mention, with Ecotech onwards we erase the smaller memcal, and re burn the eprom
This requires an adaptor, which I supply, to fit memcal to burner.

Something to remember is, a burnt eprom, that is a memcal will almost never fail, whereas a realtime can fail, and this can be disastrous if you havent got some sort of back up memcal on board with you.
It is usually the SRAM that corrupts. This is rare but is does happen and is usually from some kind of spike.
A common one with Holden V8's is, the CLT sensor is on the front of the engine, and the plug and wires become very brittle after time with the heat etc and if these wires fray and touch, even though only 5 volt, it is enough to corrupt SRAM.
Then you are Toyota'ed on the side of the road........
Personally, I have realtimes in all my cars, and Ive never had a problem in how many years???? um 1993 to 2010, der, I dont wanna know.......
Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it.
Autograph your work with excellence.
Hooter

Return to Workshop