Setting up flags for full manual 4L60E

Moderator: Hooter

Setting up flags for full manual 4L60E

Postby Krusty » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:51 pm

Having some trouble setting up a full manual box on W91 and am wary of playing with my new built $3000+ full manual box. The builder doesn't even allow line pressure control of the box by the ECM and the only setting as far as I can tell is the torque converter lock up which I can't get right

Any ideas?
Krusty
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Setting up flags for full manual 4L60E

Postby BLOWN-VP » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:05 am

from what ive read on the later 4l60e autos that use pwm control for the tcc when they fully manualize them the lockup part is disabled in the box.i would ask the person that built the box if it is disabled cheers darren.
BLOWN-VP
professional
professional

Postby Krusty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:04 am

I've spoken with the trans guy and he says it's enabled and is a lock up converter. The TCC is locking at crazy low rpm (900rpm in 4th) and can't be good for the box. The thing is I've only turned off the the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, soleoid circuit flags and haven't made any adjustments to the converter apply settings.
Krusty
Experienced
Experienced

Postby BLOWN-VP » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:54 pm

there is 2 different lockup setups 1 is pulse width modulated the other is on off.ask the box builder which 1 he set up.if its set up on off i dont think the later pcm which is pwm control will work it properly.i havent used workshop only sp3 but they normally control tcc from roadspeed and throttle position.hope this helps.cheers darren.
BLOWN-VP
professional
professional

Postby Krusty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:17 pm

Yeah I don't think workshop is that different as it seems to be modelled from the original delco base software. TCC apply and release relies on roadspeed/ rpm and tps iput just the same as I believe earlier versions do too.

The thing is that the converter is locking now even though I've only adjusted the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 solenoid circuit flags thus far.

I think what you say in your post regarding pwm modulated and simple on or off command TCC apply/ release may hold the key here.

I'll talk with the trans builders tomorrow and hopefully have some progress sooner than later
Krusty
Experienced
Experienced

Postby BLOWN-VP » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:52 am

if the auto is set up for tcc on off you could still use workshop duty cycle control.0 percent would be off and 100 percent would be on.
BLOWN-VP
professional
professional

Postby DerekBell » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:38 pm

Thats how I do the reverse solenoid on my T56 with SP3, using the TCC. The TCC lockout in SP3 is PWM as well..
DerekBell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hooter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:29 pm

Hhmmmm.......fully manualised electronic boxes.......Ive seen heaps of these, why would ya????? at least if you use a T700 you can still have variable line pressure with the cable control, I wont go into all the faults that I have found with them.
Some builders still use the harness connector, some dont ( as in "fully manulised")
The easy way to tell, is have a look at your List/View Trans All, and you will see what the pcm is commanding, and you will see what is actually happening, and you will also see at what speed this is happening providing you have the speed sensor plugged in.
You will need to Flag/Mask ALL the tranny flags and if you still see all the tcc being activated, then you may need to change the speed that it applies/releases at, which is all explained on the cd and in the help sections, but the point is look at the List View to see whats happening.
The Pulse Width Modulated TCC Darren talks about is the actual solenoid in the tranny, and these were introduced in Series 2 VR, so you can see the differences by comparing (if you have it) VR series 1 to series 2.
There is an option is Series 2 onwards software to disable m83 tcc pwm, so that you can tune early VR boxes with later software including VS, which is what I do, as I prefer VS software to VR, because Holden improved a few things with advent of 215 factory stroker.
Also, if your pcm speed reading is wrong (compared to GPS navman etc) you can change it at VAR:MPH:MPHFAC just above the TCC variables.
Cheers Al
Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it.
Autograph your work with excellence.
Hooter

Postby Krusty » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:32 pm

Hooter wrote:Hhmmmm.......fully manualised electronic boxes.......Ive seen heaps of these, why would ya????? at least if you use a T700 you can still have variable line pressure with the cable control, I wont go into all the faults that I have found with them.
Some builders still use the harness connector, some dont ( as in "fully manulised")
The easy way to tell, is have a look at your List/View Trans All, and you will see what the pcm is commanding, and you will see what is actually happening, and you will also see at what speed this is happening providing you have the speed sensor plugged in.
You will need to Flag/Mask ALL the tranny flags and if you still see all the tcc being activated, then you may need to change the speed that it applies/releases at, which is all explained on the cd and in the help sections, but the point is look at the List View to see whats happening.
The Pulse Width Modulated TCC Darren talks about is the actual solenoid in the tranny, and these were introduced in Series 2 VR, so you can see the differences by comparing (if you have it) VR series 1 to series 2.
There is an option is Series 2 onwards software to disable m83 tcc pwm, so that you can tune early VR boxes with later software including VS, which is what I do, as I prefer VS software to VR, because Holden improved a few things with advent of 215 factory stroker.
Also, if your pcm speed reading is wrong (compared to GPS navman etc) you can change it at VAR:MPH:MPHFAC just above the TCC variables.
Cheers Al

Thanks again, makes sense. I'll get the RT onto the customers car and see how we go
Krusty
Experienced
Experienced

Return to Workshop