Problem with W40 / W41

Moderator: Hooter

Problem with W40 / W41

Postby tuneman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Hello all,
I use to tune the kalmakers in Adelaide but have not needed to touch my own car for years, Now whats happened all of a studden is that on startup the car comes back to idle, the car was twin turbo charged but the fuzz where given people a hard time so I removed them, no fun.
Now the car use to run and start, change gears do all the stuff you want a late model car to do. But of late I have had to get my broken back under that hood, testing everything from earths, wiring from sensors to ecu, replacing TPS and IACsstill stpid things happening.
I noticed that from time to time on startup for what ever reason the car would take it time to come back to a standard idle, it will do it, but about 1 minute plus, then when you shift gear it SLAMS into REV then N then a SLAM into Drive, you notice it so key off, park, stuff around with what ever start same thing, now this does not happen every time I start the car, I can go days with out the problem and the car drives goes very well and the gear changes are perfect, then all of a sudden you stop at the shops.
Get in the car and it plays up so you just drive home stuck in first gear if its a 50 km zone if its a 60 well you get second but it slams the gear, it also has no engine braking whilst this is happening NOT good this is a big dollar gear box, it was built to put up with my driving style and abuse with the turbos,

Has anybody got ideas, I am starting to lose my nut over this car of mine.

Do I burn the car? only joking then I will be walking.

Cheers for now

Paul
People ask me whats your job,
My answer is I make cars go fast!
tuneman

Re: Problem with W40 / W41

Postby stormtrooper » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:25 pm

What diagnostics have you done? What codes has the PCM put out? Are they related to the engine or the transmission?
If you need help with anything Kalmaker related (that includes things like ECU, program, injector, wiring etc) ask on the forum so everyone can help or learn.
stormtrooper
Get a Life
Get a Life

Postby tuneman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:26 am

Hi there Stormtrooper,
I have spent many hours checking every aspect on the car and the only code I have is the long term fuel trim, of which I know the reason the car needs to be put on the rollers and a quick look at, It is not bad that I still have access to all this equiptment and I have not worked at the workshop now for 2 years.
This is the reason why I am asking the question for a bit of guidance on the problem, thereis only one error code only the LTFT, I mean zero codes for the ńormal' engine and gearbox not a fault, we have even had a couple very good scan tools on the ecu and still nothing, when I get back from going away this week end I am going to have to get a set of std VS injectors clean them stick them in and go for broke on a stardard ecu, this is about what I am at.

Anyway enough about me, I hope wish to hear from people.

Paul
tuneman

Postby DerekBell » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:59 pm

What PCM are you using? a workshop RT one, or the standard with a burn't memcal.

It sounds like you may have a corrupt SRAM, a bad connection somewhere in the memcal or the memcal EPROM itself. Have come across similar stuff with an incorrectly burnt EPROM under SP3.
DerekBell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stormtrooper » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi Paul
tuneman wrote:when I get back from going away this week end I am going to have to get a set of std VS injectors clean them stick them in and go for broke on a stardard ecu, this is about what I am at.
For the short term that sounds like the best option. Take note of Dereks reply to though, if the chip wasn't burn't properly you can get some strange things happening.

I'd also give the wiring loom a thorough check over to. My troopie acted strange, it's not an auto though, for a little while and then was ok for about a month. Went to use it oneday it was ok, took it into town for a rego check and it wouldn't start. Mice and rats had eaten through the wiring loom. The old girl does farm duty now.
If you need help with anything Kalmaker related (that includes things like ECU, program, injector, wiring etc) ask on the forum so everyone can help or learn.
stormtrooper
Get a Life
Get a Life

Postby tuneman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi there all,
OK I have replaced SRAMs before in fact this computer is on the second one, I have one more spare brand new, the computer is a RT W40/W41 VS AUTO currently has my turbo program in it.
I was away from Adelaide this last two weeks and suprise not one problem saying that I bet tomorrow is plays up.
I have had problems with others where the SRAM moves the little board around and normally I put somehting on top to take up the room, I did this to my own computer a long time ago, unless the header connector has had enough and thrown in the towel, I have had to change USB ports on Arduino because of things not fitting.
Would it be and idea to get a new board and put the security chip and SRAM on it see if that fixes fault?
I hope this answers more.

Cheers for now

Paul
tuneman

Postby stormtrooper » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:47 am

tuneman wrote:I have had to change USB ports on Arduino because of things not fitting.
DOes this mean you have modified the ECU further?
tuneman wrote:Would it be and idea to get a new board and put the security chip and SRAM on it see if that fixes fault?
Alan (Hooter) or Derek can answer that with much more authority than I can.
stormtrooper
Get a Life
Get a Life

Postby DerekBell » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Unfortunately agree with Stormtrooper

It does sound like youve further modified the ECU..

Due to the randomness of it all, it still sounds like a shit joint somewhere. A new board might not hurt but Al is the one to ask..

Derek
DerekBell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Workshop